We often overlook our own oral health however, this shouldn’t be the case. To develop and maintain good oral health is not expensive or difficult.
1) TOOTH BRUSHING
Regular tooth brushing will help prevent tooth decay and gum disease. Effective tooth brushing will remove the bacteria responsible for decay and gum problems. The brushing technique below is called the ‘Bass technique’, and it is the most effective way to remove the bacteria in a predictable and consistent way.
- Angle the tooth brush bristle at 45 degrees to where the teeth meet the gums.
- Brush in a circular and up-down movement, gently massaging the teeth and the gums.
- Spend time cleaning every surface of the tooth.
- Don’t rush, being thorough is more important than being quick and aggressive.
- Use a soft tooth brush as the bristles will be able to flex around the curved surfaces of your teeth.
- Replace your brush approximately every 3 months.
- Use an electric tooth brush.
2) INTER-DENTAL CLEANING
The spaces between your teeth are usually very hard to reach with your tooth brush. These areas should be cleaned using flossing or inter-dental brushes. If the spaces are tight, then flossing will usually suffice. However, if you have larger spaces then a specially designed inter-dental brush is an easy way to clean these areas on a daily basis. Once a day is usually enough.
3) VISIT YOUR DENTIST AND HYGIENIST REGULARLY
Your saliva and the natural enzymes in your mouth will create a build up of plaque and calculus approximately every 6 months. A little cavity can progressively get larger before it starts to cause any pain. If it is detected and treated early, the cavity will not cause any lasting problems to your tooth.
The natural plaque and calculus can also initiate gum disease which may also progressively worsen before you experience pain or loosening of your teeth.
By having the plaque and calculus removed regularly, the bacteria in your mouth is not given enough time to cause any long term dental problems. This is why regular cleaning by the hygienist and check ups with the dentist are essential to reducing the potential for dental problems.
If you haven’t been to the dentist or hygienist for more than 12 months, please feel free to send us a message for any advice or to arrange an appointment.
Newsletter Sign Up
- Dr Mohsin Patel
Book a Consultation
At Infinity Dental Clinic we see patients for routine dental check-ups with our dentists. Regular dental maintenance and good oral hygiene will ensure that you keep your teeth and gums healthy.Book a Consultation